Wednesday, June 24, 2015

My Proudest Moment

By nature, I am a goal setter and a goal achiever.  If I achieve a particularly monumental or large goal, I am usually proud of myself.  While achieving the goal of landing my dream job a few years ago was definitely a proud moment, I would have to say my proudest moment thus far in my life would be when I purchased my own house.

You see, I didn't really ever expect to own a house.  Girls aren't supposed to own houses, right?  Girls are supposed to get married and their husband buys the house, or if the girl has a job, they buy the house together.  But a girl buy a house all on her own?

Sometime in my early 20's, when I was still single with no prospects, I started mulling over this idea of owning my own house.  I was paying rent on a tiny apartment, all by myself, and I couldn't believe how much was going monthly into that black hole called "rent."  I started realizing that I could have a house payment for only a little more than I was paying in rent, and then, my money would actually be going somewhere!

Of course, there were a few small problems...

First, I wasn't sure where I wanted to buy a home.  The first thought was that I wanted to own some property and renovate whatever house was on that property.  I always have wanted to (and still want to) renovate an old farmhouse.  There is something I've loved about old farmhouses since my dad and I took a trip through his home state of Iowa when I was twelve years old.

Secondly, I didn't have any money for a down payment.  I'm talking about literally nothing.

Thirdly, I had no credit.  I had never gone into debt to purchase anything, so as a result, I had no credit.

In my early 20's, I had a bigger and more immediate problem of getting my career of the ground.  When I finally accomplished that the year I was thirty, I decided it was time to make home ownership a reality.

First, I had to start saving for the down payment.  With a regular salary, this was accomplished fairly quickly.  I was used to living on about $10k a year, so my expenses were low and my savings grew fast.

Secondly, I had to decide on a location.  I liked where I was teaching, and I knew that even if I didn't stay at that school, I would stay in that general area.  I decided on a place slightly southwest of my current school, but when I began looking at houses, I decided it was too far south of Dallas, so at my boyfriend's recommendation, I settled on a place that was just west of the school and closer to DFW.

Thirdly, I had to build credit.  This probably should have come first or second, but somehow it was an afterthought.  I was actually all ready to buy my house when I realized I didn't have enough credit (read: NONE) to qualify for a loan.  I got a credit card that required a security deposit and started using it and paying it off as fast as I could.  It took about six months for a credit score to come through.

That is when I started the whole process...getting pre-approved for a loan, finding a realtor, searching online sites for house listings, and being willing to make a decision at the snap of a finger (the housing market was very hot).

After another six months, a contract that was turned down, and most of my summer, I found the house.

You see, being the half country girl that I am, the location had to be just perfect and/or the house had to appeal to my particular eccentric style of being fascinated with older houses.  The first house I put a contract on had an amazing lot, huge backyard, and an old-fashioned style.  The second house, the house that became my house, had the perfect location - next to a lake in a somewhat secluded development.  As we left the house, I told the realtor, "Call and put a contract on it."

It was a nerve-wracking few days as the homeowners decided between me and a few other bidders.  Finally, I got the word - the owners had decided on me!  For the next month, it was paperwork, and faxes, and signatures, and more signatures.  Then, there was that one final day when I went to the title office, signed the final paperwork, and was handed a set of keys.  The house was mine!

It didn't sink in until the next day, though, when I drove down to begin cleaning the house with my mother and sister in preparation for moving.  My key unlocked the front door, and I walked around barefoot, exploring every nook and cranny and dreaming of what it would look like furnished.

It's been a journey of almost a year since then.  Slowly, little-by-little, I am getting areas furnished and decorated.  The latest accomplishment was to complete the front hall/entryway.  Home ownership requires time and money, but I am still loving home ownership!

No comments:

Post a Comment